Resources for Parents and Teachers
To help kids get the most out of the Insect Festival, parents or teachers may wish to have insect-themed storytimes or hands-on activities prior to the festival. Some resources that may be helpful for this are listed below.
Books About Insects
- Many books are available at local libraries; check the children’s non-fiction section under the call number J597.
- Some potential classroom activities related to insects are described in The Insecto-files by Helaine Becker; Insect Almanac: A year-round activity guide by Monica Russo; Insectigations: 40 Hands-on Activities to Explore the Insect World, by Cindy Blobaum; and Insects (Make it Work! Science) by Andrew Haslam.
- Information on keeping insects for observation can also be found in Pet Bugs: A Kid's Guide to Catching and Keeping Touchable Insects by Sally Kneidel; Bugs as Pets (Animal Planet Pet Care Library) by Jay F. Hemdal; and Pets in a Jar: Collecting and Caring for Small Wild Animals, by Seymour Simon.
- Educational videos, online games, free teaching materials
- Teaching awards and grants
- Coloring pages, crafts, games, and other activities for children: